NEW YORK (our correspondent) :- The United Nations has announced extend ceasefire in civil war for further two months in Yemen.

Th UN Special Envoy for Yemen Hans Grundberg has issued a statement in this regard. In the statement, he said that the parties to the Yemeni conflict have agreed to extend the UN-mediated truce, for an additional two months, from August until October 2022, under the same terms.

“This truce extension includes a commitment from the parties to intensify negotiations to reach an expanded truce agreement as soon as possible,” Grundberg said in a statement.

United States and Oman had also been engaging with the warring groups to back UN Envoy’s proposal following a visit by US President Joe Biden to Saudi Arabia last month. Buden had announced that an agreement to deepen and extend the truce between the arms groups in Yemen after after bilateral talks.

The extension in peace agreement came hours after an Omani delegation concluded three-day talks with the Houthi leadership, including with the rebels’ chief Abdul-Malek al-Houthi in the Yemeni capital of Sanaa.

Mohammed Abdel-Salam, the Houthi chief negotiator and spokesman said on Twitter the talks focused on consolidating chances of halting the war and lifting the blockade imposed by the Saudi-led coalition.

The ceasefire initially took effect on April 2 and was extended June 2, despite both sides trading accusations of violating the truce and the failure to lift a years-long blockade of the city of Taiz by the Houthis.

On Sunday, US Secretary of State Antony Blinken spoke with Rashad al-Alimi, head of the presidential government, to press for the truce renewal.

He said the ceasefire “provides the best opportunity for peace in years, we must not let it slip away”.

More than two-thirds of Yemen’s 30 million people need humanitarian aid, a UN official said last month, and the country has been pushed to the brink of famine.

Under the truce, commercial flights have resumed from the rebel-held capital Sanaa to Jordan and Egypt, while oil tankers have been able to dock in the lifeline port of Hodeida, also in Houthi hands.

30 aid agencies working in Yemen said on Monday that civilian casualties have dropped significantly ater the truce first came into force on April 2.

The aid groups, including Yemeni and international organisations, urged “all parties to the conflict to adhere to and extend the agreement to protect civilians” across the country.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.